Kinstone is a meditative holistic landscape and learning center where Permaculture principles guide us in the restoration of the land and rejuvenation of the people that come here. It is a place where people can come to experience a sacred place and to reconnect with what is important.
What is Kinstone?
Located on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River in the driftless region of Western Wisconsin, Kinstone is a land restoration and human rejuvenation and education project. Among its diverse plantings, pond, natural buildings and food forests, this 4th generation family farmland has a stunning array of megalithic features including a stone circle, a labyrinth and standing stones with intentional alignments marking the cardinal directions and the passing of the seasons.
Kinstone is a working Permaculture site loaded with diverse plants and ecosystems. The steep, north-facing property offers many interactive examples of permaculture techniques and approaches including natural buildings, a pond, acres of oak/hickory woodland, terraces, various types of swales, hundreds of young nut and fruit trees, restored prairie/savanna, food forests, garden beds and more.
Interdependence is everything. We nurture the relationships between people and the earth through the creation of sacred space, growing food, and offering opportunities to learn about topics that can strengthen self and the relationship between self and the environment.
Our mission is to help our students and visitors understand the inherent connection between Nature, humanity and society, revealing that every thought, word and action carries consequences. We work to increase awareness and knowledge in others about how to live in healthy relationship with the earth. We engage with others, establishing a local-focused community where local, fresh food is made more accessible. We promote diversity – in plants, animals, educational offerings, building styles, in our relationships and more – to ensure healthy regeneration of the land and the people.
We seek to achieve balance and health, create positive and ethical lifestyle change, develop ecological and environmental harmony and stability for future generations, and teach appropriate technologies that sustain rather than harm.
Our Main Objectives
- Establish a healthy land base that is productive and diverse, rooted in the principles of Permaculture
- Offer learning opportunities that strengthen knowledge of self and the relationship between self and the environment
- Offer informative, fun and interactive field trips for students of all ages, kindergarten to college.
- Establish programs to manage neglected woodland, restore savanna and create wildlife habitat.
- Involve others in our programs by offering volunteer opportunities, work trade arrangements and internships in gardening , animal management and programming for school groups.
- Support the local food movement by providing produce from our own gardens as well as purchasing produce from other local farmers to support the Kinstone Kitchen mobile food truck operations.
- Support pollinators by planting specifically to attract and feed bees, butterflies, bats and other pollinators.
- Beautify the region by planting for color, scent and shape as well as food and utility.
- Offer a unique, healthy, environmentally-conscious venue for weddings, meetings, picnics, corporate events, and more.